November 2, 2007
Photo by Colleen MacPherson
Jerusalem is at the centre and east is at the top of a framed 1928 reproduction of the planisphere created by Venetian Giovanni Leardo and shown above. Recently donated to the University Archives by John Courtney, professor emeritus of Political Studies, the map was produced in 1452 just before the fall of Constantinople (May 29, 1453) and much of its information came from the travels of Marco Polo. It was originally owned by George Simpson, professor of History and the province’s first archivist, and his wife Edith Simpson, dean of the College of Home Economics. The map can be viewed in the Archives, on the third floor of the Main Library.