From the Archives: Keeping in touch with the public
March 12, 2010
U of S Archives, Agricultural Bulletins, #21.
By Patrick Hayes, U of S Archives
For almost six decades, the Agricultural Extension Bulletins or Technical Bulletins were a dynamic part of the university’s contact with the public. In 1910, the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture turned over to the university responsibility for the development and delivery of agricultural and women’s extension programs throughout the province.
To fulfill this mandate, the Department of Agricultural Extension (1910) and Women’s Work (1913) were established within the College of Agriculture. The first, or number 1, bulletin, “Soil Nitrogen and Legume Inoculation”, was published in 1921. The last bulletin #555, “Propagation For The Home Gardener” was produced in 1988. Several titles were updated and reissued as new knowledge and techniques developed.
Topics included animal husbandry, engine and machinery maintenance, farm electrification and household management. The bulletin pictured here is #21 from 1924 showing the U of S winter beehives. The Administration Building, completed in 1987, now occupies the site.