A Mi’kmaw scholar, an award-winning folk singer and an internationally-renowned agriculture researcher. These are some of the members of the USask community who were among the 83 new appointments to the Order of Canada in an announcement made by Gov.-Gen. Julie Payette.
The recent Order of Canada honourees with connections to USask include:
- Harvey Voldeng – B.SA. 1963, M.Sc. 1964 – Order of Canada – Officer (O.C.)
- Karen Weiler – B.A. 1968 – Order of Canada – Member (C.M.)
- Marie Battiste – Order of Canada – Honouary Officer (O.C.)
USask honouary degree recipients
- Buffy Sainte Marie – D.Litt. (Honourary) 2003 – Order of Canada – Companion (C.C.)
- Ian Wilson – D.Let. (Honourary) 2010 – Order of Canada – Officer (O.C.)
Established in 1967, more than 7,500 people from across the country have been named to the Order of Canada, which recognizes Canadians who have distinguished themselves in their fields or contributed to making Canada a better country.